Friday, November 21, 2008

It's about love and respect

While we were traveling down to Mississippi I was scanning through the radio stations and came across a radio station that has Jerry and Joy (and for the life of me I can't remember their last name) speaking at a marriage conference. You know when God is at work, because boy was he talking to me.

Josh and I just had a conversation the other day about communication, taking care of ourselves and respect. I can get so worked up about a lot of little things and I realize that a lot of times I tend to be pretty selfish when it comes to others. Yes this is along the lines of me doing a lot of soul searching and realizing that I tend to come across to my family with the line of is its not my way it is not good enough or it is wrong. Why do I feel like this and how do I change this in me. Okay a little side track!!!

This speaker was talking about what women and men need in a marriage. Women want to feel loved. We don't just need to hear the words from our husbands but we need to FEEL loved. I am sure that you have heard a saying "I told her that I loved her the day we got married and if it changes I will let her know". This can be funny but not when you are the one not feeling important to your spouse. Husbands need to find out what is important to their wives and then follow through with it on a regular basis. He also said that we tend to take each other for granted which is so easy to do.

Now our husbands want most is to feel respected. You may respect him but how do you show it. I know that I don't show it enough to Josh because I was so use to doing things on my own in a former life that I tend to do that now. I don't involve him in my life enough and I don't ask him for his help. We as wives have a lot of emotions that we go through when we have a baby and sometimes the most important thing in our life gets neglected and pushed to the bottom. Ephesians 5:33 says it all, 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

God's little instruction book is all that we need to get through each day but we (I) need to spend time with him each and every day. Go see where God is at work and join Him.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Great post Laurie. I love getting to know you more through your blog. Have you read "The Five Love Languages"? If not, I'll let you borrow it. It's wonderful.